Turnt - A Game Development Summary


This is a short run down on how the game was made, what I learnt during making the game as well as what I learnt from the release of the game on Google Play Store. ( You can get the game here )

Turnt was released a while back in February 2017 and I mainly made it mainly to learn more about what goes into releasing a game on the play store and how to use Unity ( Game Engine I Used ) to make 3D games.I have made 2 games prior to this one which have been released on the Google Play store, both of which were 2D games and were released on other people's accounts.

 Making 2D games was fun and all but I wanted to make a 3D one which looked good ( According To My Standard ) and that would be the first one to be released under my own developer account.
So I knew that I wanted to add something unique and flavourful to the looks of the game ( This Is Me From 2017 ). So I decided that the audio in the game would somehow affect the visuals of the game.

What I ended up doing is making the platforms that are in the game vary in their colour according to the beat of the music that I sampled with the Unity Audio API ( AudioSource.GetSpectrumData() ).
Also created some simple shaders that made it easier to get the look I wanted.
This was my first time writing my own shaders in Unity and it opened my mind to whole new area that I didn't know existed ( Learn Shaders, They Are So Damn Amazing ).
I will probably have some posts on shaders in the near future ( Look Out For Them ).
Those colour varying platforms were sometimes annoying and I ended up gaving an option in game to disable or enable it. 😔
Here is the trailer for the game. ( As You Can See I Had High Expectations).
After all of this, I got mostly positive feedback for the game.
Downloads were picking up speed in first week and slowly died down to a point where it's non-existent now.
I don't have any regrets about the state of the game now. I didn't market the game enough and the game itself wasn't much of a "must have" or "a superb experience".
But overall this was a good learning experience.
I know a lot of the niches and unexplored parts of the Unity game engine because of this.
I will post more technical stuff in the future for those with a sweet tooth for MonoBehaviors.